Karly Foster – Physiotherapist
I am a Physical Therapist living and working out of North Vancouver, BC. Since a young age I have been fascinated by the human body and movement. This led me to pursue a degree in Kinesiology, followed by my Masters in Physical Therapy. I have over 12 years’ experience working within the health and fitness industry, and I continue to expand on my knowledge and skills on a daily basis.
As a Physical Therapist I believe that continuing education is essential to allow you to provide the best possible care to your patients. As such, I have expanded my focus to include hosting continuing education courses for fellow Physical Therapists. Personally, I have done additional training in many areas to expand on my skills, including manual therapy (joint mobilizations and soft tissue techniques), dry needling/IMS, as well as exercise prescription. My personal area of interest is the foot and gait related disorders and as a runner, I thoroughly enjoy treating other runners, helping them to run better and prevent injury.
I believe that treatments such as manual therapy and dry needling are extremely important to help facilitate healing and movement, however in my practice they are not stand alone treatments. My goal is to provide my patients with education and tools to help empower them to manage their own injuries or conditions, and to provide them with exercises and information to help them move better. I have done advanced training in Clinical Rehab Pilates as well as other movement based techniques, and I use this training in one on one treatment sessions, to help teach my patients to better understand their bodies and move more efficiently to avoid injury and improve performance.
I very much believe that if you love what you do for a living it isn’t work. I wake up each day and am excited to go to work, to research and learn more and continue to better myself as a Physical Therapist. I feel incredibly lucky that I am able to help people each day feel better, move better and learn more about their bodies.
When not working and completing courses I am an avid trail runner and hiker, mountain biker and rock climber and can usually be found somewhere in the trails in North Vancouver.
Post Graduate Training/Certifications:
- Clinical Pilates Training (RMR1 & RMR2) – Pacific North West Pilates
- FDN/IMS Level 1 – Kinetacore.
- Certificate in Anatomical Acupuncture – CAFCI
- National Shoe Fit Certification – International Foot and Gait Education Council via The Gait Guys (online course completed, certification pending completion of exam)
- A Closer Look at the Foot & Gait – Dr. Ivo Waerlop
- Understanding the Foot & Gait Pilates Workshop – Melanie Byford Young
- Thoracic & Upper Quadrant Pilates Workshop – Melanie Byford Young
- Level 1 Diploma – Orthopedic Division of Canadian Physiotherapists Association
- The Eclectic Approach to Upper and Lower Quarter Evaluation and Treatment – Erson Regilioso(The Manual Therapist)
- The SI Joint/Pelvis Part 1 and 2 – APTEI
- Soft Tissue Release – Jim Bilotta